Date Published: 12-05-2018
Publisher: TCK Publishing
Hogan Duran was a good man once. He was a cop, forced to resign in disgrace after he couldn't save his partner from a bullet. Now Hogan lives on the fraying edges of society, serving cruel masters and scavenging trash dumps just to survive.
But after four years of poverty, Hogan finally gets a chance to get back on his feet. He's invited to join the National Security Council, the powerful paramilitary organization responsible for protecting the rich and powerful from the more unsavory elements of society. All he needs to do is pass their deadly entrance exam, and he'll be rewarded with wealth and opportunity beyond his wildest dreams.
But this ex-cop's path to redemption won't be easy. The NSC are hiding something, and as Hogan descends deeper into their world, he starts to uncover the terrible truth about how the powerful in this new world maintain their power...and just how far they will go to protect their secrets.
In a world gone wrong, can one man make a difference, or will he die trying?
Kill Code is the first novel in an exciting new dystopian science fiction series from the mind of award-winning author, screenwriter, and director Clive Fleury.
The view out of the Dunkin' Donuts window was spectacular. The store, nestled on the clifftop, looked directly over the angry, crashing waves Of the Pacific Ocean. Years ago, Dunkin' used to be a distance from the sea, but over the years, the rocks had crumbled and fallen, bringing it ever-closer to the foaming blue water.
I can still remember When Santa Monica actually had a beach. I kept old photos from back then, when the city still looked idyllic. People used to worship the sun instead of hating it. That was before the luxury high apartments and hotels that lined the seafront had been abandoned and the Pacific Coast Highway had underwater.
I collected a packet of sugar for my partner Max's breakfast coffee. As I walked back to the counter, I made a mental note to check the sea at the end of Colorado Avenue. It seemed to unusually high that day. Of the politicians always boasted that they'd gotten the under control, but no one ever them—and, as COPS, told to report any areas showing signs of unusual "'water rises.
The waiter put the tray of donuts and coffee down. His nametag said Gordy. He was a round-faced, bushy-browed teenager. Jobs like these used to be locked down but with the economy continuing to freefall and the cost of education going up and up, most young kids today would kill for a job at Dunkin'. so Gordy was one Of the lucky ones.
I picked up the tray and headed for the door. Since l’d been on my diet, l’d been trying to wean myself off my addiction to sweet cakes and candies, but it was proving difficult. Unlike my partner, I had to work real hard to keep off the pounds. Last month, on my twenty-eighth birthday, I had decided to do something about my weight. Even my six-two frame couldn't disguise my girth. By the time I reached my mid-thirties, I would be the Of a ballast balloon if I didn’t do something about it.
Walking out into the blistering sun, I across at my parked black- and-white cruiser and Max was kneeling by the vehicle's open door, his department-issue Sig Sauer P266 drawn, staring at a drugged-out skank in her early twenties. She held a fistful of cash in one hand and a Ruger in the other, pointing the weapon directly at him.
Seeing me, Max shouted a warning. Then everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I let the tray fall to the ground while the woman fired twice at Max. first bullet missed, but the second Was a direct hit, tearing flesh and shattering bones as it burrowed into him. Then she spun around to shoot me as I reached for my weapon.
About the Author
Clive Fleury is an award-winning writer of novels and screenplays, including most recently the murder mystery detective novel "All Or None". He is also a TV/Film writer, director, and producer who has worked for major broadcasters and studios on a wide variety of successful drama and documentary projects, worldwide. He has written and directed four feature films, one of which, "Big City Blues," starred Giancarlo Esposito, the late Burt Reynolds, and Balthazar Getty. His most recent film, "Sons of Summer," is a surfing movie set on the Gold Coast of Australia and stars Temuera Morrison and Isabel Lucas. Clive currently spends his time between Florida and Sydney, Australia.

No comments:
Post a Comment