Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Blog Tour: Second Chance Highway



A Sequel


Fantasy / Action & Adventure / Christian

Date Published: June 9, 2026

Publisher: Clay Bridges Publishing

 


Sometimes, the second chance we truly need is the one we give ourselves.

Ginny Carmichael feels trapped in her abusive relationship until an otherworldly visit ignites her determination to break free. With her baby daughter in tow, she embarks on a courageous road trip that not only takes her away from danger but also leads her to unexpected kindness, genuine connections, and profound forgiveness.

Along the way, she meets a compassionate waitress, a spirited aunt, and ultimately her estranged mother, who may hold the key to her healing. As Ginny approaches her destination—and the truth about her worth—she discovers that escape was never the destination. Wholeness was.

Second Chance Highway is a poignant tale of faith, friendship, and the path to restoration and redemption, and is the sequel to the award-winning Always Think of Me.




Excerpt


“Good morning.” Ginny stands at the door, yawning, still dressed in the clothes she wore yesterday. Black smudges of mascara line her bloodshot and swollen eyes, confirming my suspicion that she had a good, long cry. Yet somehow, she seems well-rested, even chipper. “I slept on the couch,” she says. “Hope that was okay.”

“Was the bed lumpy? I haven’t slept in it in years.”

“I wouldn’t know.” She gives me a sheepish grin and pours herself a mug of coffee. “I never even pulled down the comforter… I had a rough night. I hope you didn’t hear me or Laurel.” She gazes at the steam rising from her cup. “Poor kid. Her mother is barely keeping it together, and my meltdown woke her up.”

“I didn’t hear a thing. I guess your aunt’s not happy with you?” I ask, assuming the phone call was the cause of the upset.

“You could say that.” She takes a seat at the kitchen table next to me and fiddles with her memory bracelet. “Jacob got to her first. She thinks I’m deeply depressed and need professional help. She urged me to go back to Atlanta.” She sucks in her top lip and narrows her eyes. “That won’t happen, and I will be okay—with or without her. The problem is she has my mother’s phone number and address.”

“Your mother’s address?”

“Yeah. My mom lives in Las Vegas, but I’m not sure where she lives. I haven’t seen her in at least two decades.” She stares at the ceiling before continuing. “We both suffer from a bad case of unforgiveness.”

Ginny had not revealed the endpoint of her journey, and I hadn’t pried. She kept things close to her chest, dribbling details when she thought it was prudent. Or at least that was my impression. The news did ease my mind. If restoring a broken relationship was her goal, she would have my support. I give her a reassuring pat on her tiny hand.

“Ginny, I wish I had more time, but I promised Monty that I’d train my niece, Shannon. She’s taking my job. We can talk later, after the breakfast rush.” I lift my eyebrows, wondering how she will respond.

“Great! That gives me time to shower, feed Laurel, and find a laundromat.” She counts the chores on her fingers.

“Save your shekels. Use my washer and dryer.” Rising from the table, I point to a set of double doors in the kitchen.

“Oh, Oralyn, are you sure?” She glances at the laundry closet, then back at me, chewing her bottom lip.

I sigh and shake my head. Can she still be asking for permission? “Like I said for the fifty millionth time—make yourself at home.”

I grab my purse off the counter and am ready to open the back door when she takes two quick paces toward me. Her arms come around me, pulling me closer in a hug that makes me want to cry.

“You’ve been so kind to me.” Her voice is soft and rich with emotion. “You’re like my Granny Smith and that’s high praise.” She pulls back, and our eyes lock. “Through you, Oralyn, God has extended a tender mercy.”

I then hug and squeeze her against my chest. She feels like family.

 


About the Author


Lori Keesey is the author of Second Chance Highway, the sequel to the award-winning Always Think of Me. Lori discovered her love for writing at a very young age and then pursued a professional writing career as a journalist, freelance writer, and communication consultant. She graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park.

 

Contact Links

Website

LinkedIn

Facebook


Purchase Links

Amazon

Barnes and Noble


RABT Book Tours & PR

No comments:

Post a Comment